Starwood Hotels and Resorts and The Westin Princeville are dedicated to reducing our impact on the earth. Our company and our resort have pledged to reduce total energy consumption by 30% and water consumption by 20% by the year 2020.
- To reduce our carbon footprint on the beautiful island of Kaua’i, The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas is going green through installing a Co-Gen system which will allow the resort to produce electricity on site. The Co-Gen system’s heat output will be used to heat the pools and hot water throughout the resort. The system, which will be fully commissioned by midsummer 2014, is now in its final regulatory and testing phase and will have little to no guest impact for the remainder of the project.
- The resort offer's guests the opportunity to choose to forgo daily housekeeping services to help reduce our need for washing and drying of linens and towels through our You Tidy, We Treat program.
- All partially used guest room dishwashing soaps, bottled shampoos, conditioners and lotions are donated to local shelters
- The resort's dining outlets use locally grown and sourced products wherever possible. A farmer's market is held weekly featuring a local farmer selling local produce and eggs.
- The resort has installed variable speed drives on the many pool and water feature electric pumps which greatly reduce electrical needs
- The resort continues to change out light bulbs to more efficient CFL and LED models
- The resort's landscape department has installed a weather sensor type irrigation system to reduce irrigation needs
- The resort's engineering departments only use low VOC paints when painting.
- Housekeeping continues to implement many green practices when cleaning rooms, such as modifying cleaning techniques to reduce water consumption during the cleaning process
- The resort standard for guest room temperature has been adjusted to a more sustainable temperature when the room is vacant to use less electricity
- The resort's Sustainability Council increases associate awareness and encourage associates to implement and develop green practices
- The resort celebrates Earth Hour and Earth Day with sustainable practices for children and guests